NC State
BioResources
Acosta, R., Montoya, J., and Welling, J. (2021). "Determination of the suitable shape for tensile tests parallel to the fibers in Guadua angustifolia Kunth specimens," BioResources 16(2), 3214-3223.

Abstract

The tension test parallel-to-fiber in anisotropic materials, such as bamboo, is one of the most important tests because it makes it possible to evaluate mechanical properties used in calculations for different types of stresses. For this type of test there are standards that apply to wood in general, others to bamboo, and other more specific ones that apply to bamboo Guadua angustifolia Kunth. These rules suggest the use of dog bone test specimens. When performing such tests parallel to the fiber direction, failures are observed in undesired zones. This document characterizes and analyzes the possible types of failures. It also evidences the difficulties presented and quantifies them finding that, for 59 failed test pieces, only 18.6% had failures within the desired zones, while the other 81.4% had failures within undesired zones in the tension test parallel to the fiber. Finally, it can be concluded that there are gaps in the rules that influence the variation of the results obtained by different authors. The dog bone test specimens are not recommended for tension tests parallel to the Guadua fiber. Rather, utilization of straight specimens is recommended with a calculated clamping height and the standard equation and protected clamping area.


Download PDF